LEGESTHORSE is a Law Firm located in Barcelona and focused on providing legal advice and defending our clients in litigations, regarding any question or conflict that may arise in the equestrian world and in riding competitions.
Have you bought a horse that does not fit your requirements or has hidden defects?
Have you sold a horse and the buyer wants to terminate the purchase?
Do you want to know the legal requirements for opening a riding centre?
The administration does not give you the permits for your facilities?
Have you had an accident while riding? Do you want to know what and to whom you can claim?
Has your horse suffered an accident or has it caused damages/injured someone?
Are you a veterinarian and an owner is filing a claim regarding you professional performance?
Has a sport federation started a sports discipline or doping file?
The equestrian sector is increasingly on the rise and more internationalised, so the often-complex situations you may find in the national and international equine sector are vaster. Today, horses are handed to expert riders for competition or reproduction purposes, or to amateurs for learning and practising, they are shared by several owners… Furthermore, the sector is getting more regulated both in animal welfare law with respect to equestrian facilities and sport rules, specially related to the sports professions. The ignorance of the urban planning rules frequently causes huge problems to the owners of riding centres, aggravated by the ignorance of the authorities about the needs and requirements of this kind of facilities. For this reason, it is essential to rely on a Lawyer, not only expert in these legal areas, but also with a deep knowledge of the equine sector, as the intervention of an animal with such special behaviour and needs may complicate many situations.
LEGESTHORSE collaborates with riders, veterinarians, architects and agricultural experts to provide our clients a complete assistance not only on the legal area, but also in all those questions that have legal influence, from the technical and veterinarian perspective, on the activities carried out in the equine world.
Furthermore, LEGESTHORSE is the Alliance Partner for Spain of EUROPEAN US ASIAN EQUINE LAWYERS, formed by well-known Law Firms in the equestrian world and the equine law field in several European countries, the United States and Asia, which allows us to offer our clients a stronger position and security in case of lawsuits before foreign tribunals, as well before the Spanish ones for our foreign clients if they are obliged to go to court in Spain.
LEGESTHORSE was founded in 2005 by Isabel Margarit, who got her Law Degree in the University of Barcelona on 1990, and is a member of the Barcelona’s Bar Association (no. 19177) since 1992. Isabel Margarit has experience on international commerce and contract law, urban and land law, sports law and animal welfare law. She holds a post-graduate degree in Urban Execution Systems (UAB-2004) and a Master on Sports Law (2010-2011).
Isabel Margarit has merged her passion as an active rider in dressage competition and her nearly 30 years of professional experience, providing assistance, legal advice and defence in the equestrian sector. She has successfully defended a large number of cases related to horse transport or riding accidents, purchase contracts and termination thereof, sports discipline and doping cases and urban plans for the construction of new riding centres or the adaptation of existing facilities to the regulations in force.
We provide legal advice and defense in all matters related to the equestrian sector and equestrian sport. Services aimed at professional or amateur riders, as well as equestrian centers, stud farms, equestrian centers, federations and sports clubs.
• Promise of purchase and test of horses.
• Purchase, legal advice on contract’s negotiation, importation and economic/fiscal rules.
• Pre-purchase vet check.
• Liability rules and risks assumed, hidden vices...
• Transfer of use and/or rental and liability rules.
• Livestock farms requirements.
• Faeces management plans.
• Horses identification and travel documents.
• Transport (authorization and registry of carriers and means of transport).
• Horse riding accidents.
• Damages caused by horses to third parties: persons, property and other animals.
• Liability rules: owner, possessor (riding schools/privates).
• Liability of sporting clubs, riding centres and committees organizing competitions and events.
• Professional liability of vets.
• Transport accidents (itinere).
• Legal requirements for the teacher/trainer.
• Labour regulation for sportspeople and trainers.
• Tax system.
• Rights of image.
• Liability rules.
• Sports associations and other entities: incorporation/articles of association, legal and economic system.
• Sporting limited liability companies.
• Horse boarding contracts.
• Riding lessons or training for competition.
• Horses rental: for private use, for riding lessons.
• Rights and obligations of clubs or riding centres, owners, students and/or clients-users.
• Legal advice on the purchase: ownership, transmissions, liabilities...
• Urbanistic and administrative requirements for the construction and the management of riding facilities, breeders...
• Processing of urbanistic plans for the legalisation of riding facilities.
• Obtaining of sponsors.
• Elaboration and processing of sponsoring agreements.
• Processing of files from sponsoring entities in order to obtain tax benefits.
• Assistance on invoicing to sponsors.
• Tracking of recovery management.
• Sports rules.
• Advice and representation/defence on sports discipline, sanctions and appeals.
• Anti-doping legal system.
• Sports arbitration.